health insurance

Health insurance advice abroad

Health insurance in a country of the European Economic Area or in Switzerland

At least 3 weeks before your departure, ask for your  EHIC, European Health Insurance Card .

The CEAM is individual and nominative. It is valid for 2 years. Each member of your family must have their own, including children under the age of 16. It allows you to benefit from on-site coverage of your medical care, according to the legislation of the country.

Is your departure imminent? Health insurance can issue you a provisional certificate valid for 3 months.

Have you paid for medical expenses on site? Keep the original and paid invoices as well as the prescriptions relating to the care received. Send them to the Health Insurance, along with form S3125 “Care received abroad”,  

Health insurance in another country

Only urgent and unforeseen medical care can be covered by Health Insurance. You pay your medical expenses on the spot. On your return, you send the original and paid invoices to L’Assurance Maladie, as well as the prescriptions for the care received.

As medical costs are very high in some countries, do not hesitate to take out a specific assistance or insurance contract, which guarantees reimbursement of medical costs incurred and medical repatriation, in the event of illness abroad.

Additional health advice before going abroad

You go on vacation and you buy a stay abroad: have the reflex to pay with your bank card. Generally, high-end bank cards offer many advantages and associated services: reimbursement of repatriation costs, sending medicines abroad … Check with your bank.

The countries of the European Economic Area, in alphabetical order eligible for obtaining the EHIC, European Health Insurance Card

Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Spain (including the Balearic and Canary Islands), Estonia, France (mainland, Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, Réunion), Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including the archipelagos of Madeira and the Azores), Czech Republic, Romania, United Kingdom (application of European law until as of December 31, 2020), Ireland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden.

If you think the content of 101 Healthy Living is helpful to you,please click the donation link and buy me a cup of coffee!




Leave a Reply